Tuesday, January 17, 2012

OH MY SPICE!

I guess it is a good thing I didn't resolve to post more often for New Years because I would already have failed! I'm trying to take the time to bake, but life keeps getting in the way. Don't you hate when that happens?

One of my favorite traditions is to go to Barnes and Noble the day after Christmas and get all my calendars for 50% off! As my husband states, "I plan to make plans." So it really shouldn't surprise anyone that I have two calenders in our house, one on my computer, one on my phone, and one at school (on top of my plan book,) that are all synced. This year I chose a Martha Stewart Cupcakes calendar for the kitchen, in hopes that I will at least make the cupcake of the month each month. 

January's recipe was Spiced Cupcakes with Citrus Glaze! The original recipe says it will make 48 minis, but I decided to make regular ones instead since I was putting them in "birthday boxes." Two of my awesome teammates celebrated birthdays this week! I am so blessed to be able to work with them and they definitely deserved to have a special treat!

Spiced Cupcakes with Citrus Glaze
(slightly varied from Martha Stewart)
Ingredients:
For the cupcakes

1 c. unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 c. all-purpse flour
1 1/2 t. coarse salt
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 t. ground nutmeg
1/2 t. ground cardamom
1 c. packed light-brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 c. whole milk

For the glaze

3 ish TB. orange juice
1 3/4 c. confectioners' sugar
food coloring (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350. Line cupcake tin. In a bowl, whisk together flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom.
2. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and brown sugar on medium-high until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. With mixer on low, add flour in three additions, alternating with two additions of milk.
3. Fill each cupcake liner 3/4 full. Bake until golden brown at edges and an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 20 mins. Let cakes cool in pan about 5 mins, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
4. Make glaze by whisking together confectioners' sugar and orange juice until smooth. I added 1 TB at a time until desired thickness. Add 1 to 2 drops of food coloring if coloring glaze.

 I loved the idea of coloring glaze; however, I didn't realize how it effected the consistency until it was too late. It was pretty watery and either soaked into the cake or puddled on the plate:
Be sure to add a tad more sugar if you add food coloring!
Happy Birthday Jennie and Lisa!

 
Today's Playlist:
 
Blackout- Breathe Carolina
Lights (Bassnectar Remix)- Ellie Goulding
Good Feeling- Flo Rida
We Found Love- Rihanna

No comments:

Post a Comment