Saturday, August 27, 2011

Extremely Easy Samoa Bark

Well, It's official! I survived my first week back to work. I have an adorable class this year and I'm really looking forward to getting to know them better as the year progresses. 

The first week back is always a crazy one! Waking up early, running here, running there, and there is a never ending to do list. I  was staying pretty composed, until my husband reminded me that I had agreed to make something for his potluck final at school. I panicked at first, but then immediately turned  to Pinterest to find something quick and easy. That's where I came across Samoa Bark. Since Samoas are one of my favorite Girl Scout cookies I had to give it a try.

Samoa Cookie Bark

12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, plus 2 ounces for drizzle (I used Baker’s chocolate)
35-40 shortbread cookies
3 cups shredded coconut
1 14oz pkg caramels, unwrapped
2 Tablespoons water
1. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Prepare 12 ounces of chocolate according to package directions (I microwaved in 30 second intervals, then stirred until melted, but you can use a double boiler if you prefer). Spread chocolate in an even layer on the foil to your desired thickness; I did mine thinnish. Immediately press shortbread cookies onto melted chocolate, covering it in an even layer. Pop in the freezer until hardened and solid and chocolate has set, about 20 minutes. You want to make sure your shortbread/chocolate layer is good and solid so your bark stays together (like me and Jessie–sorry).
2. Now prepare your filling. Toast your coconut in a pan over low-heat until nice and toasty. Watch it, though, since coconut toasts fast and you don’t want it to burn. While coconut is toasting, unwrap your caramels and melt them in 30-second intervals with the 2 T water until smooth and melted. Stir toasted coconut into caramel sauce, and spread evenly over your shortbread bark layer.
3. Melt remaining 2 ounces of chocolate and drizzle over the caramel… because obviously, it’s a must.
4. I popped my bark back into the freezer to set the drizzled chocolate, but please eat this bark at room temperature–the caramel hardens quickly, and the last thing I need is a lawsuit for broken incisors. Store airtight.


 It was so fast and easy! I knew no leftovers would be making their way back home so I also made some individual serving size treats.
Some favorites from today's playlist:

Paper Aeroplane- Angus & Julia Stone
Someone Like You- Adele
Stereo Love- Edward Maya & Vika Jigulina


No comments:

Post a Comment