Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Finally Feeling Like Fall, Time For Some Pumpkin Mac and Cheese

I have been so ready to start cooking some fall favorites but with all the summer like temperatures I have not felt like turning on the oven too much. However, when I received my October Better Homes and Gardens and I found a recipe for Pumpkin Mac and Cheese I knew I had to give in and heat up the kitchen. Let me tell you, it was worth it! Not only was it hit for dinner, but I think I have also found my Thanksgiving side dish.


Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
2 C. dried elbow macaroni
2 Tb. butter
2 Tb. all-purpose flour
1 C. whipping cream
1 C. whole milk (I used nonfat milk)
4 oz. Fontina Cheese, shredded
1 15 oz. can pumpkin
1 Tb. snipped fresh sage 
1/2 C. soft bread crumbs (I used Whole Wheat Panko)
1/2 C. grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 C. chopped walnuts
1 Tb. olive oil

1. Preheat oven 350 degrees. Cook pasta in a large pot following package directions; drain. Return to pot.

2. In medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, 1/2 t. salt, and 1/2 t. ground black pepper. Add cream and milk all at once. Cook and stir over medium heat until slightly thickened and bubbly. Stir in Fontina cheese, pumpkin, and sage until cheese is melted. Stir sauce into pasta. Transfer to ungreased 2 quart rectangluar baking dish.

3. In bowl combine bread crumbs, Parmesan, nuts, and oil; sprinkle over pasta. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes or until bubbly and top is golden. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with sage.


So yummy, I am making it again this week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment